Shaking Dice Minikit with 3D Printed Case by Chuck Hellebuyck

Shaking Dice Minikit with 3D Printed Case

I received an MK150 Shaking Dice Minikit from Velleman to review on my YouTube Channel CHEP 3D Printing. I like to mix in some electronics from time to time so this was a great chance to build this kit and then design and 3D print a case for it. It was listed as an easy to assemble kit so I got out my Portable Electronics Workbench, setup my soldering iron and went to work.

Assembling the Shaking Dice MiniKit

The kit went together in about 20 minutes. There are two circuit boards that are connected with a V-Score separating them. I waited until they were both assembled before breaking them apart. They are then stacked on top of each other and held together with metal stand-offs.

The top circuit board is an LED board with seven 3mm LEDs and seven resistors. The top and bottom board make an electrical connection through copper pads that that touch those metal stand-offs. This makes the kit easily hack-able as the top board can easily be replaced with a buzzer or light sensor board of your own design along with a modification to the code programmed into the PIC microcontroller on the lower board. I’ll save that for a future project.

Assembled Shaking Dice Kit

The lower board contains the PIC12F508, which is pre-programmed with the dice code. The kit included a socket for the PIC so removing it and reprogramming it is easy. The lower board also contains a CR2032 3V cell socket. You have to supply the 2032 3V cell to power the kit. A couple capacitors and a vibration switch completes the lower board components.

Assembly was easy and the dice kit worked great. You shake it and the LEDs scramble and then settle on a number. The LEDs all flash to show the number is locked in and the a few seconds later they all go out and the module goes into a sleep mode to save battery life and waits for another shake.

Designing and 3D Printing a Dice Case

Dice case design in Tinkercad

The only thing missing was a nice case for the kit. Two exposed boards on top of each other was not the prettiest thing to play with. So I modeled the dice kit as a block in Tinkercad software. The block was the size of the two boards assembled and then 4mm cylinders on top representing the LEDs. I made the block and cylinders into a hole-element to take away material in that shape within Tinkercad.

The next step was the actual case. I use another block and sized it larger than the dice and rounded the edges like a real die. Then I combined the Dice kit hole block with the case block and I had a perfect case. The cylinders poked through the top and made holes for the LEDs to show through and the inside was hollowed out to perfectly fit the fully assembled kit. Then only step left was to cut off the bottom and make it into a removable cover so it could all be assembled.

Simplify3D dice case ready to slice

I 3D printed the case and bottom cover and when it was done, everything fit together perfectly. A shake of the case and the LEDs lit up and showed the number. All the rest of the kit is hidden within the plastic case.

Summary

This was a fun and easy to build project and shows how electronics and 3D printing can work together to make fun and useful projects and projects. The case is available on Thingiverse and the full story is shown in my Filament Friday series of videos at my YouTube channel. You can get there by entering FilamentFriday.com in your browser and it will take you straight to my channel.

Assembled dice kit and 3D printed case